Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It Only Continues

Pending thoughts: I tried to think that since Monsignor Gardin hadn't called me, the confirmation was a no-go. His secretary called me today, its still on. *sigh*. Did I mention that my father was sent to hospital today? WORST WEEK EVER!

I hate exaggerating. Sounds like I'm some girl in junior high, omg worst week ever. ahu.

I promise lists and these lists might/not go on the side, I'm thinking no one really cares what I think the greatest film is... or what my top 10 albums of all time are. Boring. Yet, since I think like this... or least somewhat... I'll make room by adding the top 9 films of my most favorite and my top 25 albums.

Film:

9) The Usual Suspects: Most recent addition. Kevin Spacey's performance was nearly brilliant as a cripple. Yes, it was a little slow moving, but the ending sold it.

8) Oldboy: Korean film that was the hardest for me as a Catholic to review. I wouldn't endorse this for a morality class or family viewing. Very disturbing, but one of the best structured, and set up films I ever saw.

7) Shawshank Redemption: There's a reason that this film is number 2 of IMDB's top 250. The warden played one of the most evil characters in film. The art direction of the prison, the message of hope, and everything put together made this one of the most memorable.

6) Big Fish: Tim Burton's masterpiece. Not the typical grotesque, creepy fare, but one of the more imaginative films just in scope of its storyline. Not a bad message either.

5) Dr. Strangelove Or How I Stopped Worrying and Love the Bomb: No exaggeration here, funniest movie I have ever saw. Kubrick's black comedy masterpiece. Sellers' performance(s). The beyond classic lines. "There's no fighting in here, this is a war room." Funny out the outside, freaking hilarious and subtle innuendo.

4) Brazil: Favorite Terry Gillian movie. Possesses all of his best qualities. Weird setting, imaginative special effects, satirical undertones. Ending totally blew me out of the water.

3) Vertigo: Favorite Hitchcock film. Not your typical Hitchcock fare either (Well, it does involve a man running away from something). Made me want to take a nice shower afterwards and thats good for a 1960s film.

2) Lord of the Rings (the trilogy as a whole): Leaves all the rest in the dust. This one and number one are so close. Grand. Epic. Deep. One of the greatest works of story in the last 200 years.

1) 8 1/2: Federico Fellini's masterpiece. My favorite. Surreal. Intoxicating. Involving more than just some silly fascination with women (Fellini's only vice), actually possessing some depth. The conversation with Guido and the "woman from the spring" is my favorite dialogue between two people in any film The direction: flawless. This film has no flaws.

Honorable mentions: City of God, A Beautiful Mind, 2001: A Space Odyssey

No comments: