Monday, April 28, 2008

Spring in Wintertime

I received my schedule for next semester. Everything is not exactly how I wanted it (is it ever that way)...

Physical Geography
Introduction to Earthquakes
U.S. Diplomatic History from 1900 to 1945*
General Psychology
Ecclesiastical Latin (Latin III)
Liturgy and Sacraments

I want to drop that history class because diplomacy seems rather boring. I looked at the classes available to replace it and it looks like I only have "Foundations of Political Theory". I'd rather get rid of something I don't like and replace it with something I'll eventually need whether or not I like it or not. I also looked at the English classes and some other History classes that couldn't fit into my schedule and I am looking forward to second semester sophomore year already.

I started up writing poetry again, which hasn't produced any good efforts thus far. (has it ever?)

I've come to the conclusion... more thoughts on music. Well, even serious sounding music like classical music or music with heavy themes to it, despite its want to reach something much greater, all still sounds silly. Some music really beckons the soul to prayer, such as "Miserere Mei, Deus" or gives one up to the harshness and chaos of certain ideas like "So We Did" or "Grinning Mouths" by ISIS. Speaking of silly music, I downloaded "Paper Planes" by M.I.A.,


...

ALL I WANT TO DO IS *BANG BANG BANG BANG* AND *CLICK OF PISTOL AND MONEY DRAWER CLOSES* TAKE YOUR MONEY.

Its so awesomely stupendous. Its on a trailer for a movie called "Pineapple Express" which looks like an American take on Hot Fuzz (which is an British take on American action flicks). Pitchfork Media went nuts over this song, but I ignored it because I had some like pride issues. Like I can't help but feel just a little gay when listening to "D.A.N.C.E." by Justice. Same deal. Both songs, despite being Electronica and sort of umm effeminate sounding, are great songs. Electronica music can't ever be taken that seriously though...

I have been listening to quite a bit of Thrice. The Alchemy Index has taken its hold on me. Comparing it Vheissu, I think the former still has its domination over those elemental Indexes... but songs like "The Lion and the Wolf", "The Whaler", and "Child of Dust" really pack some power. The ending to "Child of Dust" hit me like a ton of bricks, but I really didn't understand why they did it that way. Sure it sounded waay cool dude, but I had to listen to it a couple of times to understand its grandeur with the lyrics. Dustin Kenscrue has an impeccable song writing ability, especially adding all the Christian imagery soaking into every facet of their songs.... yet he does it without being preachy or even being subtly preaching. Many Christian bands nowadays barely mention the name of Jesus, but still holding an obvious tone of preachiness to their sound... Thrice coming from a scene which did not consider them Christian but "just a band"... has a great advantage. Vheissu packs a greater overall punch, but the Alchemy Index Volumes have their own distinctive quality.

Finally finished "The Science of Sleep" this afternoon... 

7.5 out of 10

The END.

No comments: