Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Summer, combustion, indifference

Apparently, likened to what I've heard about the Beach Boys... Death Cab for Cutie means spring has come. The Forbidden Love EP has been ringing in my ears all day. "Photobooth" and "Company Calls Epilogue" stand out. I notice right off the bat now (after listening to a significant amount of Elliott Smith) how much he has on Ben Gibbard's voice. Of course, I like Ben Gibbard's voice better, his approach is less abrasive and more pleasing to the ear. Enough with the Sword and their stoner metal depression, I want sweet melodies to bring in the sunshine!

Funny side note: I bet in about two weeks, I'll put on High on Fire's "Death is This Communion" and find some musical joy in its chaos. I don't know whether or not its my rebellious teenager sticking around it to the man (being myself). I don't understand how I can come out of my room after hearing "The Two Dead Boys" by the Chariot and act any happier. Maybe its the venting that clears my stoic emotions. The lyrics "sell your soul to the devil" really don't ring in any jovial thoughts. I am having some hard time reconciling this music (the music itself and not the lyrics) with how it effects me. It should, in all logistics, put me in some lethargic rage (if that makes any sense). It could be He Is Legend or ISIS, in the name of all thats true and beautiful this is certainly not either of those.

I found this in my history class's source book. I thought it to be profound. Its a testimony from a survivor of Auschwitz. "A tremendous number of transports were coming in. The gas chambers could not keep up, so they were burning people in huge pits. Some of the smaller children were thrown in alive. We could hear the screams day and night, but sometimes the human mind can take just so much and then it just closes up and refuses to accept what is happening just 100, 200 feet away." I could never give justice to describe the horror of the Holocaust. I saw "Schindler's List". I went to the National Holocaust museum in Washington, D.C. and felt so ashamed to be human. That last part though, is what penetrated me. The fact that a person could continually experience so much horror and be indifferent to it. I guess its the human mind's way to cope and continue without combustion. I could even apply to my experiences (in significantly far less spectrum)... or maybe its the current generations effect on me... seeking escapism and not bearing crosses as I should. Just like today, I kept humming "Technocolor Girls" (Death Cab for Cutie) on the way to dropping off my dad's car after hearing he had been sent to the hospital. I should be singing "Miserere Mei, Deus" not anything like that.

Added to the Tank:
Taxi Driver
Reign Over Me

Currently Playing: Summer Skin by Death Cab for Cutie off of Plans.

No comments: